If you need catamaran sales forms, we have downloadable PDF forms on this page. We did not write these forms and offer them as a courtesy to facilitate the catamaran sales process.
The first form could be used as the Purchase and Sale Agreement and is editable online. It is sometimes called the “Offer” form. This form should work for you. In coordination with the Purchase and Sale Agreement, there are three other forms which determine if the Buyer wants to go forward with closing, renegotiate based on survey items, or cancel the deal.
- Yacht Purchase and Sale Agreement
- Acceptance of Vessel
- Conditional Acceptance of Vessel
- Rejection of Vessel
The below forms are to help you do closing paperwork. The most important is the formal Bill of Sale used to transfer your catamaran’s title. We found this version on the United States Coast Guard website, and offer it here. If it’s good enough for the US Government, it should work for you. Also included are a dinghy bill of sale, warranty of title, and a Florida Power of Attorney.
If you are more comfortable using a marine documentation company to handle paperwork, CatamaranSite.com can provide inexpensive escrow and documentation service. Prices will vary depending upon where the catamaran is registered and where you want your new registration but start at around $1,000.00 USD for escrow and documentation services. Please inquire for a quote via our escrow inquiry page.
CatamaranSite.com also provides a full service contract, escrow, and closing management service. This service is a premium level that includes all the title agent work mentioned above as well as a transaction coordinator and expert in marine contracts. It is the value of service you would receive when purchasing through a yacht brokerage at a much reduced cost. Please again see our escrow inquiry page for additional information and a form to apply.
If you are purchasing or selling in the State of Florida, then the below pamphlet from the Florida Department of Revenue may help you determine any tax implications of the sale. CatamaranSite can provide 90 day and 180 day sales tax exemption if you use our closing services. If you are a non-Florida resident buying a catamaran located in Florida, our services offer tremendous value. Please contact our team.
If your catamaran is for sale in the USA and you have concerns about US Customs, Duty, and Importation, these are two customs agents who you can contact for advice and services.
STEPS FOR PURCHASING A CATAMARAN
- Visual Inspection of Vessel: Primary visit without trial of vessel or machinery. In some cases an offer is made subject to visual inspection, survey, sea trial.
- Offer: Accompanied typically by 10% earnest money deposit in negotiable funds to be held by an escrow company such as a title agency or our in-house escrow service via this link. Typically deposit is wire transferred within three (3) business days of Seller and Buyer agreeing to and signing a purchase agreement. Written contract is submitted with acceptable contingencies (i.e. sea trial and/or survey, etc.). Yacht Purchase and Sale Agreement
- Counter Offer: Negotiations proceed through a (possible) series of offers and counter offers. These are usually verbally done without specific paperwork needed to be filled out.
- An Acceptable Price: Having been negotiated, both parties endorse the contract with signatures. 10% deposit must be cleared funds in order to proceed further.
- Sea Trial: Is conducted usually at Seller’s expense, often en-route to the survey site.
- Survey: Is conducted at Buyer’s expense. Costs vary, however, $30.00 per foot, plus $7.50 per foot for hauling out, is an example rate. Your can search online or ask friends for qualified surveyors, as well as insurance companies, marine yards, etc. The survey must meet the Buyer’s approval. There is no other standard by which the vessel passes survey other than the buyers own approval.
- Acceptance of Vessel: Resulting from satisfactory survey and sea trial. Acceptance of Vessel
- Conditional Acceptance of Vessel: Based on survey and/or sea trial (deficiencies). Possible re-negotiation of price or repairs dependent on the severity of deficiencies. Conditional Acceptance of Vessel
- Rejection of Vessel: Refund of deposit to buyer. Rejection of Vessel
- Closing: Transfer of documents and title upon receiving balance of funds. Please see above for marine documentation agents and sample forms for do it yourself paperwork.