Designed by Navel Architects Mcclear and Harris Inc New York and built by Superyacht yard Robert E Direcktor , New York, in 1964 “Stranger” was at the forefront of Yacht design and met the highest standards of the day. Welded marine grade Aluminium was used for the hulls and bridgedecks and the present condition bears testimony to it’s extrodinary durability.
Stranger spent the winters in the Carribean and the summers in New England holding many records for passage times. She then moved ot the Med and recently to the UK where she lies today.
Stranger is a fully Ocean capable sailing vessel equally at home sailing the trade wind routes or exploring rivers and shallow harbours. Drawing 5ft and able to dry out on the tide she is easy to moor and economical to maintain.
The general feel aboard Stranger is not that of a modern yacht but that of a functional sailing ship. She is a very capable ship both under power and sail. She has vast potential. She would take you safely to any corner of the globe and on the other hand you could live comfortably and economicaly up some quiet and picturesqe creek. She would be equally suitable for sail training, teaching, chartering (diving, fishing) or air b&b. She has vast decks, cockpit and very private accommodation. (an ensuite cabin in each corner!)
She had a £450K refit in 2001 at Prouts and her replacement cost would be £1million plus.
She has a prime berth in Brighton Marina in the heart of Brighton with all it has to offer. Please call to discuss all options.
|Catamaran Name:||S/V Stranger|
|Builder:||Robert E Derecktor Mamaronek NY USA|
|Designer:||McClear and Harris Inc New York|
|Fuel Tanks:||1156 Litres|
|Water Tanks:||537 Litres|
|Holding Tanks:||50 Gallons|
fully battened mizen
- Marine Grade Aluminium rolled and welded. exceeds Lloyds scantlings and as new. see ultrasound survey. Deck and coachroof marine ply covered with grp / epoxy
- Twelve separate berths in 4/5 cabins. Plus two large doubles in the saloon if required.
- Each cabin has an ensuite wc and shower.
- This accommodation is typical 1960's American, functional, simple and to some plain.
- white painted play with varnished hardwood trims.
- Stranger was used for sail training and was coded until 2020. As such she is very well equiped. 2 Life rafts, life jackets, harnesses, alarms and detectors etc etc.
- A Kubota powered Onan generator provides ample power and a 3Kw inverter charger allows for quiet evenings.
- Electric winches two Harken for sheete and lines and two anchor winches for two anchors and chains,
- avon RIB and two outboards 15hp and 6 hp
- Harken electric sheet winches
- Basic GPS
- radio vhf
- handheld vhf
- Onan 7kw generator
- 3kw invertor
- AGM batteries 24volt
Deck & Hull
- Two electric anchor winldass
- led decklights
- 8 automatic electric bilge pumps
- 4 hand pumps
- fire alarms
- bilge alarms
Sails & Rigging
- Rigged as a Staysail Ketch with many sails including spinakers. In boom furling to fully battened mizzen and roller reefing to main, roller reefing genoa.
- Easy to handle and very capable sailing ship. I can sail her on my own.
Engines & Mechanical
- Twin 140hp Yanmar 4LHA-HTE diesels 2002 - 3822 hrs Fully serviced, very good condition. New bearers and shaft alignement 2020. New deep sea seals 2019.
- very economical and reliable. Cruise speed 9 knots, top speed 10 knots.consumption circa 7l/hr.
- Shaft drive to 3 blade feathering Max props. very efficient and effective.
- Avon RIB
- 15hp yamaha outboard
- 4 hp mariner outboard
- Basic essentials include GPS, VHF wind, depth and small plotter.
- Full safety equipment for coded vessel. ( some no longer in date)
Anchor & Docking
- Two anchors
- two windlases eelectric
- Al usual cruising gear.