S/V Elpis is a 2006 Dolphin 460 Catamaran for sale by owner. This is an Owners’ Version featuring a large owner’s cabin with a separate office and full head in one hull and twin guest cabins with en suite head in the other hull. The vessel is fitted-out for extended cruising and self sufficiency. As for the general condition of the vessel, since we are fulltime liveaboards, the big boat and tender are both, literally, always in a turn-key ready state. The vessel was purchased in late 2019 at West Palm Beach, Florida, from a US citizen (the vessel was USCG documented). After taking ownership the vessel was on the hard for two months, followed by the dock for 2020 finishing a refit. Essentially every system has been refitted or refurbished in some way. Completed general maintenance, or small projects and repairs have also been recorded in S/V Elpis’s log book.
The vessel will be located for hurricane season in the US, specifically the Chesapeake.
The quality of the Dolphin 460’s interior is impressive. The boat combines easy-care laminates (stratfill teak-and-holly cabin sole, wood-grained laminate-face cabinetry and hull panels) with stylish vinyl and wood overhead panels and well positioned, quality lighting and fans. The woodwork, of various Brazilian hardwoods, is well drafted and attractive throughout the vessel’s joiner work and finish are on a par with that of a custom yacht.
With a tall rig and daggerboards, the 460 has the power to sail fast and the hull form and deep foils that make it very effective when sailing on the wind. The 460 has proven over many ocean miles and on the race course to be roughly 20 percent faster than comparable cruising cats and as close winded as modern cruising monohulls. This extra speed is the result of careful construction as hulls and decks are formed using vacuum bagging and resin infusion techniques. The hulls are cored with Divinicel, so the resulting laminates are extremely light while being stiff and durable. Interior bulkheads and structures are also Divinicel-cored laminates that are then fully tabbed into the hulls.
In vivid contrast to boats intended primarily for the charter market, the Dolphin 460 stands apart: every aspect of the boat is designed and built for private ownership and blue water cruising.
The Dolphin 460 is characterized by strong yet weight-efficient construction, relatively slender hulls (the hull beam/length ratio is 11.2), a generous sailplan, deep daggerboards, and a galley-up accommodation plan that, along with optional layout customization, caters to liveaboard owners. The result is a cruising catamaran with the potential to take her owners safely across oceans while providing a comfortable, homelike environment at anchor.
The vessel will be sold with all the spares, maintenance equipment, tools, and personal entertainment equipment.
|Catamaran Name:||S/V Elpis|
|Model:||460 (owners version)|
|Builder:||Techna Tecnhnologica (Aracaju, Brazil)|
|Construction:||Vacuum-bagged fiberglass composite, vinylester resin and PVC foam core (Divinicel)|
|Loa:||46' / 14m|
|Lwl:||46’ / 14m|
|Beam:||24' 3" / 7.3m|
|Headroom:||6.5' / 2.6 m|
|Draft:||4' 1" / 1.25m rudder; 7' 5" / 2.3m dagger board fully extended|
|Mast Height:||64' / 19.5m|
|Fuel Tanks:||100gal / 400L tank + fuel pump storage system of additional 40gal / 150L|
|Water Tanks:||100gal / 400L|
|Holding Tanks:||2 x 32gal / 121L|
|Engines:||2 x 40hp Volvo Penta D2-40 inboard|
|Engine Hours:||~1775 per engine|
|Sails:||Main: New Zealand Sails Cross cut Dacron 3 reef points on boat when purchased. Last owner purchased and installed 2017.
Jib: Calvert Sails, radial cut Warp Drive cloth Sep 2021
Screecher: Neil Pride radial cut Warp Drive cloth (new May 2020)
Screecher Facnor furling swivel (new May 2020)
Symmetrical Spinnaker on boat when purchased, great condition, fairly light use.
- Seating for 8 persons.
- Mermaid 16000BTU A/C
- Wood table with fold up/down table ends for own size preference.
- Aluminum slider door to cockpit area, new lock installed in Aug 2021.
- Quick access Emergency Cupboard inside salon doorway, housing grab bags with survival equipment (eg MRE, first aid, flare kits).
- 110V outlets x 2.
- 12V outlet.
- Access switch panel for navigational equipment and electronics, chart storage, and remote water maker starter control panel.
- Audio system (AM/FM radio, CD and audio jack cable) with surround sound speakers in cockpit, salon and galley.
- 12V fan.
Basic Specifications and Layout
- Length at water line: 46’ / 14m
- Beam: 24' 3" / 7.3m
- Draft - Hull: 2' 6" / 0.8m
- Draft - Prop/ skeg: 3' 6" / 1.10m
- Draft - Rudder: 4' 1" / 1.25m
- Draft - Daggerboard fully extended: 7' 5" / 2.3m
- Air draft: 64' / 19.5m
- Layout: The layout picture posted under photos is not the exact layout of our vessel, but pretty close.
Accommodations and Bathrooms - 3 Cabin owners’ version
- Stb Cabin (owner): Queen bed (new mattress Nov 2020)
- Prt aft: Full (new mattress Mar 2020)
- Prt forward: twin XL
- Cabins - Hanging and shelf storage, with book shelf/storage nook at main and a guest bed base.
- 110V outlets in each cabin and head.
- 12V fan and reading lamps in each cabin.
- Head and free-standing shower in each hull, with magnetic shower hose head.
- Hot and cold water in showers and basins.
- Bathroom - Storage cabinets.
- Electric fresh-water flush heads - See 'Heads and Sanitation' section for further details.
- Fridge/freezers: 2x Dometic 100L 12v (new Nov 2020)
- Custom fridge freezer cabinet with industrial sliders (new Nov 2020)
- Cuisinart ICT 60 double induction cooktop (new Nov 2020)
- Black and Decker Convection oven and air fryer (new Nov 2020)
- Microwave 1000W (new Nov 2020)
- Gas 4 burner stove and oven, with 3 x 33lb propane tanks (tanks new Nov 2019)
- General white goods eg toaster, microwave, manual pressure cooker, kettle, food processor, vacuum sealer, coffee grinders.
- 12V fan.
- Under sink dual fresh water filtration system.
- Double stainless steel sinks, with lids to cover sinks and extend your working bench space.
- Flexible/Rotational hose faucet.
- Hot and cold fresh water.
- Cabinets, drawers and spice racks.
- 110V outlets x 3.
- Surround sound speaker from salon's audio system.
Electronics and Navigational Equipment
- Chart Plotter B&G Zeus3 12” (new Sep 2020)
- CMap and Navionic charts
- Radar B&G Halo 20 (new Sep 2020)
- Autopilot Display Simrad AP24
- Autopilot hydraulic pump Simrad RPU80 (new Apr 2020)
- Autopilot computer Simrad AC12
- Compass Simard RC42 rate compass
- Wind Sensor B&G WS310 wired (new May 2020)
- Wind display Simrad IS40
- Airmar Smart Trisensor DST800 (new Jan 2021)
- AIS sender Navico NAIS400, splitter Navico NSPL400
- VHF: Standard Horizon Eclipse Plus VHF GX1250SA
- SSB: ICOM IC-M802 with Pactor modem
- Handheld: Standard Horizon HX890 (new Sep 2020)
- Handheld: ICOM IC-M72 (new battery Sep 2020)
- Sat-Phone Iridium 9575 with Red-port Optimizer, and base mount
- WiFi receiver RogueWave
- Wifi Router Linksys E1200
Electrical - Start Bank
- Superwind 350w (wired directly to start bank)
- Start batteries, 2x SLA 24D (new Oct 2020)
- Blue Sea System 500A Charge relay Auto/manual control (new Oct 2020)
- Alternator Volvo 115A each engine
Electrical - House Bank
- Custom Lithium battery 1000Ah @13.2V (new Oct 2020)
- CALB Cells 20x 3.2V sequential serial No# top balanced
- REC Active BMS with software and display
- Solar Panels: 4x LG NEON 370W (1480W total) (new Oct 2020)
- Outback MPPT Flexmax80 (new Oct 2020)
- Outback MPPT Flexmax60
- Outback Mate2 and HUB (Connects and controls Outback devices) (new Oct 2020)
- Sterling B2B charger and monitor (Allows charging from House bank) (new Oct 2020)
- Inverter - Xantrex 2000W
- Isolator/ converter 240/110 V. Boat can plug into 240V, converts to 110V. Provides isolation from dock power, shore cables included.
- Floor locker with large storage area spanning width/depth of cockpit floor.
- Under bench lockers for storage and propane tank access.
- Table and seating for 6 persons.
- New cushion covers (Oct 2021)
- Rear bench seat for 3 persons.
- Easy access to helm from cockpit (no ladders or narrow steps to climb)
- Surround sound speakers from salon's audio system.
- 12V outlet.
- Fully enclosed cockpit with roll up sun shades and wet weather enclosure (see ‘Upholstery and Equipment’ section)
- Fishing rod holders.
- Cockpit sink with hose faucet.
- Swim ladder and shower hose on port sugar scoop.
- Storage cabinets behind helm.
- Storage bag on helm seat backrest (to house eg barber hauler, preventer line, air horn, and spot light).
Upholstery and Equipment
- Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Premium pack (new Nov 2019)
- Cockpit enclosure: Strataglass 40 gauge and Phifertex Plus (new Oct 2020)
- Cockpit cushions: Sunbrella Marine (new Oct 2021)
- Saloon window covers: Phifertex Plus (new Aug 2020)
- Line bags: Phifertex and Sunbrella Marine (new Nov 2019)
- Winch covers: Sunbrella
- Numerous equipment spares.
- Volvo Penta D2-40 currently <1800hrs on each. Maintenance up to date.
- Saildrives S130 (Prt new 2018 before we took ownership). Maintenance up to date.
- Volvo folding props
- Main: New Zealand Sails Cross cut Dacron 3 reef points on boat when purchased. Last owner purchased and installed 2017. Professionally inspected to still have a few years of cruising life in it.
- Jib: Calvert Sails, radial cut Warp Drive cloth (new Sep 2021)
- Screecher: Neil Pride radial cut Warp Drive cloth (new May 2020)
- Screecher Facnor furling swivel (new May 2020)
- Symmetrical Spinnaker on boat when purchased, great condition, fairly light use.
Hull and Thru-hulls
- Construction: Divinicell vacuum bagged laminate. Solid hulls below water.
- Pettit barrier coat and anti-foul on hulls and running gear. Last done Dec 2019, due for haulout Sep 2022.
- Thru-hulls below waterline changed to Groco seacocks with backing plates: Water-maker intake; Air-conditioning Intake; Prt and stb Discharge (new Dec 2019)
- Thru-hulls above waterline, installed non-return valves on several below coach house (new Aug 2021)
- Vetus Cylinder rams MTC72 (new Nov 2019)
- Vetus Helm Pump HTP30 (new Apr 2020)
- Vetus helm wheel (new Apr 2020)
- Non-Conductive Thermoplastic hoses (1/2” and 3/8”) and fittings (new Dec 2020)
Fuel - main tank capacity ~400L
- Tank scrubbed (Nov 2019)
- 3x 50L Fuel jugs
- Transfer pump and hoses from Prt Bow locker to fuel tank.
- All standing rigging replaced by Mack Sails (new Dec 2019)
- Chain plates inspected no issues.
- Cross beam attachment plates manufactured (new Dec 2019)
- Cross beam refurbished and painted (Dec 2019)
- Main halyard 11mm D2 Racing 78 Dyneema core (new Dec 2019)
- Jib Halyard 11mm D2 Racing 78 Dyneema core (new Dec 2019)
- Screecher Halyard 11mm Dyneema core
- Spinnaker Halyard 11mm Dyneema core
- Main sail reefing lines, NER 11mm Endura Braid dyneema core (new Jan 2021)
- Daggerboard lines NER 11mm Endura Braid dyneema core (new Jan 2021)
- Topping lift 12mm Double braid (new Aug 2020)
- Outhaul 11mm Samson MLX3 (new Jan 2021)
- Jib Sheets 11mm Samson MLX3 (new Jan 2021)
- Main sheets 11mm Dyneema core
- Jib and Screecher furling lines 8mm Samson MLX3 (new Jan 2021)
- Dyneema lazyjack system (new Jun 2021)
- 1x Antal Electric 48” 2-speed winch
- 2x Antal 48” 2-speed winch
- 4x Antal 44” 2-speed winch
- Water—main tank capacity ~100gal / 400L
- Main pump drives both cold and hot
- Whale Pump and Accumulator 2L UF2215 (new Sep 2020)
- Fresh water washdown, expandable 50ft hose (new Sep 2020)
- Shower grey water Stb and Prt: Whale Gulper 320 IC and smart sensor (new Aug 2020)
- Main galley dual filtration unit installed under sinks (new Jun 2021)
- Water Maker (DC powered) - Spectra Newport 400:
- - Spectra Controller MPC3000
- - Spectra Membrane replaced (Nov 2020)
- - Pressure gauge and fittings replaced (Aug 2021)
- - Spectra cruising repair kit and filters
- Water heater (AC powered) - Isotherm Basic 8gal / 30L: Heating element, thermostat, mixing fittings replaced (Aug 2021)
Heads and Sanitation
- Stb Raritan Elegance, electric freshwater flush
- Prt Vetus WCS, electric freshwater flush (motor and macerator replaced Jul 2020)
- Whale Gulper Grouper Mk3 Discharge pump Prt and Stb (new Dec 2020)
- Trident Sanitation hoses full refit Prt and Stb (new Jul 2020)
- Below waterline thru-hulls changed to Groco seacocks with backing plates Dec 2019
- Fire Extinguishers (10lb Salon, 5lb in Stb and Prt hulls, 2lb stb head and prt forward) (new Oct 2020)
- Fire blanket galley
- EPIRB – Global fix pro
- PFDs – 4x CO2 auto inflate life vest, 4x Non-inflatable
- Smartfind S10 personal location beacon
- ACR C-Strobe Survivor Locator LED lights with life vest clip (water activated x 2 and manual x 2)
- Harnesses and jack lines.
- Medical kit
- CO and smoke Detectors in living space and hulls
- Grab bags with survival equipment (eg MRE, first aid, flare kits), located in quick access Emergency Cupboard inside doorway of Salon.
Tender / Dinghy
- Highfield Classic 360 PVC (new Jan 2020)
- Chaps cover, sunbrella/shelter-rite (new Mar 2021)
- Yamaha F25 (~90hrs) (new Jan 2020)
- Yamaha CANDOO Diagnostic hardware/software (new Aug 2021)
- Water separator iFJFFuel Filter/Water Separator R12T (new Nov 2020)
- Flare and safety kit, handheld depth sounder and oars
- Anchor Aluminium sand anchor (danforth design) ~3m chain, 5mm rope 20m
- Stainless steel davit system, with 4-way pulley system (x 4) for hoisting and securing underway.
- Navigation lights.
Anchor & Docking
- 300' / 91m 8mm G4 HT chain Gal (new Jan 2020)
- Rocna 33 kg
- Maxwell RC10 Windlass, refurbished gear box and electrical circuit (Sep 2021), with hand held controller, and remote helm control.
- Spare anchors: Bruce with chain and rope rhode ready to deploy, and Fortress stored.
- Drogue and bridle (new Nov 2021)
- Dock lines (new Aug 2020)
- 10 x G5 fenders (new Nov 2019)
- Voyager Stand-up paddleboard 10.5’ (new Dec 2019)
- Shimano Bait runner and rod x2 (new May 2020)
- Shimano TLD25 and rod (new May 2020)
- Evolve pole spears and equipment (new May 2020)
- Sport-a-seat x2 (new Dec 2020)
- Kuppet Compact twin tub portable mini-washing machine 21lb capacity (new Dec 2020)
- Numerous hand and power tools
- Boat spares (pumps, fittings, electrical etc).
- Mast climbing equipment: chair, harness, safety lines, block and tackle.
- Trampolines re-anchored with dyneema (2022).
- Adjustable heavy duty aluminum table legs to convert cockpit table to table/daybed if desire.
- Vetus Taurus heavy duty cleats x 8 to install if desire.