S/V Mina is a 1992 42 ft Lagoon TPI, one of only 54 made by Jeanneau and Tillotson Pearson Inc. to yacht grade specifications. First introduced in 1991, the Lagoon 42 is a boat of the style, build and layout quality that accelerated the popularity of the cruising catamaran in the USA. Solid construction and high bridge deck clearance make this catamaran appealing to any sailor. The boat draft is 4’5″ making her a great sailing vessel, as well as having the capability of cruising through shallow waters.
Built by Tillotson Pearson of Rhode Island, this model was introduced in 1991 and that year won “Sailing Multi-hull” and overall “Boat of the Year” by Sailing World Magazine. These are legendary sailing catamarans and are not to be confused with the later “condo style” French-built Lagoon models. Designed by the innovative French naval architects Marc Van Peteghem and Vincent Lauriot Prevost (Jeanneau). The optimized hull construction using balsa and vinyl ester resin saves weight, which improves performance and sea-keeping. You will also never see a blister on these boats!
Built for sailing with a balance of strength, speed, and seakeeping ability, the Lagoon 42 TPI is a solidly built ocean-going cruiser with sleek lines and good bridge deck clearance. The hulls and deck are built using TPI’s pioneering vacuum bag infusions containing vinyl ester resins yielding a light, strong, durable composite structure which differ strikingly from the French Lagoons. The high standard of construction is the reason these yachts keep their value very well. Note that this is thoroughly a blue water cruiser with excellent seakeeping, handles easily, points well and can cruise at high average speeds in comfort.
TPIs sail beautifully, are equally comfortable at anchor, and have such generous storage that your only challenge will be not packing in more gear than necessary.
With striking good looks the catamaran received a lot of attention at her introduction to the market. Accentuated curves of the bridge deck cabin give the design panache as well as keeping the windage low and allowing her to point higher when close hauled.
S/V Mina is ready to go blue water cruising! She has new trampolines, 2019 rebuilt 2010 yanmar engines, water maker, enough solar and battery to keep the autopilot and the fridge going through the night!
I have uploaded the original owner’s manual. You can find it here: https://bit.ly/3n9U9Kl
|Catamaran Name:||S/V Mina|
|Builder:||Jeanneau (Tillotson Pearson Inc of Rhode Island)|
|Designer:||Marc Van Peteghem / Vincent Lauriot Prevost|
|Loa:||42' 0" (12.95m)|
|Lwl:||38 '9" (11.8m)|
|Beam:||22 7" (6.9m)|
|Draft:||(max.) 4'5" (1.35m)|
|Mast Height:||56'5" (17.2m)|
|Speed:||Cruise 7.5 knots|
|Fuel Tanks:||80 gal|
|Water Tanks:||160 gal|
|Holding Tanks:||40 gal|
|Engines:||2 x Yanmar 3JH5E 39 hp 2010. Rebuilt 2019|
|Engine Hours:||stbd: 315; port: 420|
|Fuel Consumption:||1/2 gal/hr @ 2500 rpm (both engines)|
|Sails:||Mainsail - 12 years old - some stitching done - in sound condition, but has some chafe on batten pockets
Genoa - sound condition
Self-tacking jib - good condition
Code 0 on rope furler - 2016 - very good condition
- balsa and vinyl ester resin
- FRP state-of-the-art resin infusion process
- 2 aft cabins with queen sized berths and side locker and seat.
- 4 Staterooms Comfortably Sleep 8, plus 2 on the converted settee
- Aft Staterooms Feature a Double Closet Split Between Hanging and Shelving
- Extra aft hatch for great ventilation
- 2 fore cabins with double berths and shelving.
- All cabins have cupboards and drawers, fans and extensive under berth storage.
- Headroom: 6’6”
- 2 Heads
- U-shaped settee round table.
- Separate chart table with storage.
- Book shelf.
- Outside shading for windows.
- Holly/teak effect floors throughout the interior.
- Extensive storage.
- 2 opening hatches and a large sliding door.
- One curved window has a crack, no leak.
- Force 10 propane stove.
- Built in fridge, with BD50 compressor and ISU
- Large ss sink in formica work surface.
- Fresh water by electric pump.
- Foot pump for sea water.
- Generous cupboard storage and space for a freezer
- Teak wine glass holder.
- Spectra watermaker (pickled)
- Autohelm Raymarine Type 25
- Standard Horizon chart plotter.
- Standard Horizon VHF with AIS.
- SSB Icom 710 and tuner
- 4x 100 watt solar panels, new 2018.
- MPTT solar controller. New 2019.
- Xantrex battery monitor.
- 4 house batteries. 2 starter batteries.
- Separate 12 volt and 110 volt electric panels
- Dockside power leads.
- 1000 w inverter.
Deck & Hull
- Deck shower
- Jack lines.
- Edson pull/pull cable steering and helm. Conduit and fittings replaced 2018
- Pressurised sea water pump and washdown hose.
- Large cockpit with wrap around seating and cushions.
- Drop leaf table.
- Folding sunbrella bimini.
- Extensive lazarette and other lockers.
- 2 very large storage lockers in bows, anchor and propane lockers, and more storage in stern
- Ocean Kayak and paddles.
Sails & Rigging
- Mainsail - sound condition, but has some chafe
- Genoa - sound condition
- Self-tacking jib - good condition
- Code 0 on rope furler - 2016
Engines & Mechanical
- 2 x Yanmar 3JH5E 39 hp 2010. Reconditioned 2019.
- Engine Hours: stbd: 315; port: 420
- 80 US gal diesel between 2 ss tanks.
- Volvo saildrives.
- 3 bladed propellers.
- The engines are accessed from the stern steps
- 11’ dinghy (2021).
- Yamaha 15 hp outboard.
- ACR EPIRB.
- 4 offshore life jackets .
- 2 throwable horseshoe life rings and a strobe light.
- Hand held searchlight.
- Air horn.
- 4 automatic bilge pumps.
- 2 manual bilge pumps operated from cockpit.
- 1 roving bilge pump.
- 3 hand held fire extinguishers and a fire blanket.
- 2 automatic fire extinguishers in engine rooms.
- 1 emergency escape hatch.
- Cable cutters.
- Hinged swim ladder from lowest stern step.
- Mast head and deck level nav lights
Anchor & Docking
- 2 x Rocna anchors,
- 2 x Fortress anchor,
- 1 x dinghy anchor
- SS chain
- 140' of 3/4" rope rode
- Maxwell windlass